Family Surf Home, Ribamar & History
FAMILY SURF HOME
Family Surf Home began its work in April of 2017, with the prospect of accommodation for surfers who need a place with good energy, good conditions and obviously the closest to the beaches of Ericeira World Surfin Reserve.
In the work of more than a year for the construction of the Eco Bungalows, Family Surf Home started work in a private beach house in Ribamar, very close to Praia dos Coxos and São Lourenço Beach, which through Airbnb website has more then 55 comments, with a value of 4.8 of 5 stars, Super Host.
The construction of the Bungalows was made based on the recycling of marine containers and were made simply with the workmanship of two persons. The electricity and the warm water by the sun panels. The location of the Bungalows is in a private zone with electric gate entrance, with place to park the vehicles, with pool, with two barbecues, with two places for recycling, outside shower with place to put surfboards, wetsuits...
Ribamar is a village in the parish of Sto Isidoro, located about 38 km from the center of Lisbon and less than 3 km north of the well-known seaside resort of Ericeira (considered one of the 100 coolest villages in Europe). This village is known not only for the gastronomy, where you can delight in the restaurants of national fame, which are notable for seafood and other specialties of the sea, as well as for its beaches (S. Lourenço, Coxos and Ribeira D'Ilhas), which are part the Ericeira World Surfing Reserve, the first of its kind in Europe, where surfing and bodyboarding competitions are organized both nationally and internationally.
Ericeira became a World Surfing Reserve on 14 October 2011, when this was declared by the international organisation Save the Waves Coalition. It was only the 2nd Reserve to be distinguished worldwide, and remains the only one in Europe until today.
Fort of Santa Suzana
In historical terms, there are buildings such as the Fort of Santa Susana and the chapel of the eighteenth century.
The Fort of Santa Susana, south of the beach of S Lourenço, was built in the 17th century by order of
D. João IV, to defend the coast against attacks of piracy and, together with Fort Picoto, was part of the Lines of Towers (set of fortifications that aimed at the defense of Lisbon during the French invasions). It also served as a barracks until 1948, when it was transferred to the guardianship of the Fiscal Guard. Around it are observed the parapets and the open gunboats that date from the nineteenth century.
The chapel has on the side door the date of 1736, having been rebuilt in 1959. At the end of 2005 there was still reconstruction of the roof and exterior arrangements. In this, stands the image of S. João Baptista the in polychrome wood.
In the last 20 years, Ribamar has become the seafood capital of the Lisboa region, with around 15 shellfish restaurants and more than 1 000 000 visitors per year.
“The few kilometres covered by the Ericeira Reserve are a true heritage of humanity.”
SOS – Save Our Surf Movement